Check-in at the Speaker Centre
Please check in at the Speaker Centre at least five hours before the start of your session to collect your final session schedule, important security information and instructions at the Speaker Centre. It is located adjacent to Session Room A2. The opening hours are as follows:
|Sunday 4 December||9:00 - 11:30 and 17:00 - 19:00|
|Monday 5 December||7:30 - 18:30|
|Tuesday 6 December||7:30 - 18:30|
|Wednesday 7 December||7:30 - 18:30|
|Thursday 8 December||7:30 - 16:00|
Your role as a Session Chair is the key to a successful session. Like a master of ceremonies or 'anchorperson', your job is to guide the session to achieve its intended purpose in the time available.
Preparation before the conference
- Make contact with your Session Co-Chair (if applicable) and agree on your respective roles in the session;
- Contact the Session Focal Person/ Point Person for any questions you might have about the session topic or structure
- Familiarize yourself with the presentation topics or abstracts before the session
- Make contact with the speakers ahead of time. You are encouraged to ask them to send you their PowerPoint presentation and speaking notes beforehand so that you have an idea of what they are going to say. This is to support you in your preparations – the presenters are still responsible for uploading their slides at the Speaker Centre onsite.
- Prepare questions that will stimulate audience participation and interaction, if applicable.
Preparation at the conference
- Check-in at the Speaker Centre to receive up-to-date information regarding your session. This is important, as you will be briefed on any security information or changes that may have taken place.
- If possible, meet with the speakers before your session. Run through the session line-up ie, roles, order, session specifics). Do what you can to make sure speakers are clear about and feel comfortable with their role and with one another.
- Ask speakers how they would like you to introduce them – a personal touch is often welcome.
- Check the room where the session will be held and familiarize yourself with the space and equipment. Introduce yourself to technical staff and room staff.
- Arrive at the session room at least 15 minutes before the start of the session.
During the Session
- Prepare well with speakers and other persons involved in the session before the conference;
- Open the session and introduce the speakers;
- Manage the timing during the session and stop the speakers if they overrun their time. A presentation timer is available in the all session rooms;
- Make sure that the session promotes dialogue, and respectful and productive interaction;
- Manage audience contributions, questions and answers. As a Session Chair your own speaking time is limited. Please make sure you give space to presenters and audience;
- Make interventions to move thinking forward and promote dialogue by making links between points made by speakers or other contributors; bringing in different perspectives; managing conflicting viewpoints; noting where there is agreement, common ground or disagreement; noting key ideas, proposals, agreements for action; summing up areas of agreement and disagreement and next steps;
- Thank speakers and delegates at the end of the sessions